Aloe Vera’s first recorded use was over 5000 years ago in early Egyptian times, but this amazing plant now is used to treat hundreds of different ailments ranging from sun burn to constipation and is growing in popularity at an amazing pace.
The aloe vera plant is constructed with the basic building blocks of life, including essential vitamins and minerals, proteins, polysaccharides, enzymes, and amino acids (some people drink aloe vera for physical endurance and stamina, instead of energy drinks)! The bulk of the aloe vera leaf is filled with gel, which is approximately 99% water. The other 1% contains over at least 75 known nutrients including 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, 200 active plan compounds called phytonutrients, enzymes and of course, water.
So what can it do for me?
Currently there is an ever grown body of evidence suggesting Aloe Vera can help diabetics by helping to control blood sugar levels. Another is its ability to lower cholesterol although data is still insufficient to support these claims
What we do know:
Anti-fungal / Anti –inflammatory
It’s these properties that make Aloe Vera the ideal choice for minor burns and skin conditions as well as fungal infection such as athlete’s foot.
Use as a moisturizer
Aloe Vera is an Emollient they work by binding on the surface of the skin helping to prevent loss of moisture.
- A source of several vitamins and minerals that are vital to healthy cell growth
- Contains several antioxidants that protect the body against free radical damage
- Contains multiple enzymes to aid the process of digestion
- Helps stop Candida overgrowth in the body
- Helps the body’s natural wound healing process function properly
- Aids in detoxification and helps keep the colon clean and regular
How to take it?
There are no official guidelines as to use of Aloe Vera but here are some guidelines to help you get the most from your supplements.
Creams and gels with aloe vera can vary in dosage. Some creams for minor burns have just 0.5% aloe vera. Others used for psoriasis may contain as much as 70% aloe vera. As an oral supplement, aloe has no set dose. For constipation, some use 100-200 milligrams of aloe juice — or 50 milligrams of aloe extract — daily as needed. For diabetes, 1 tablespoon of the gel has been used daily.
High oral doses of aloe or aloe latex are dangerous. Ask your doctor for advice on how to use aloe daily.