I’m sure a lot of you are aware that Monsantos now world famous weed killer known as ‘Round-up’ its a awful toxic mixture which seems to have been made with a intention to to harm the environment and animals throughout the word. But what are the other options open to the discerning organic gardener who just wants to keep those pesky bugs in check?
Homemade All-Purpose Insecticide Spray
- 15 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 3 cayenne peppers (or 3 jalapeno peppers or 1 tablespoon cayenne powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid castile soap (fragrance free)
- 4 cups warm water
1. In a blender combine the water, garlic, onion, and peppers and puree.
2. Pour the mixture into a glass jar, secure the lid, and steep for 6-24 hours on the counter.
3. Strain through a cheesecloth, then add the liquid castile soap and mix well.
4. Load the mixture into a spray bottle and you’re good to go.
I love this recipe! Try it on a host of pests in your garden and feel free to adjust it as needed with other insect repellent herbs. Spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves, throughly coating them. Store this mixture in the fridge and if it is strained well, it should keep for at least 1-2 months.
Note: Be sure to test a patch prior to spraying the entire plant. Take care not to get this on your skin or in your eyes, the cayenne pepper will burn.
Basic Insecticidal Soap
- 1 1/2 teaspoon any type of liquid soap (i.e. castile, dish washing soap, ivory, etc.)
- 1 quart water
1. Combine all ingredient in a spray bottle.
Set the spray bottle nozzle to stream and spray infested areas of the foliage. This insecticidal soap works great against some of the most common garden pests such as: aphids, earworms, borers, mites, whiteflies, maggots, moths, and beetles. Note: By adding 1/4 cup of isopropyl alcohol to the above recipe you can create a very mild but effective insecticidal soap that treats scale insects. The alcohol works against the scale’s shell.
- Spider Mite Spray
- The Ingredients
- 1/8 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 gallon of water
1. In a bucket combine all of the ingredients and mix completely.
2. Load into a spray bottle.
Spray this homemade Spider Mite Spray anywhere spider mites are living or crawling. The mixture should rid your garden of all types of mites.